Thursday, December 29, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire film - reprise

I'm not sure words can express how utterly disappointed I was by the film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... I knew the story had been cut heavily, but this was a total travesty; they leapt from a scene in one chapter into the middle of a scene from another chapter, they missed HUGE chunks of very important stuff out, and I know Mike said he wanted to concentrate on Harry's story, but this was totally ridiculous... The last time I was this disappointed by a HP film was after watching CoS. To use a common phrase, I'm gutted ! This film scarcely resembled the book at all - they should really have called it Harry Potter and some bits from J K Rowling's book ! Ugh !

OK, the effects were pretty good - but as usual they sacrificed the story for the special effects. What was that dancing lesson about - and Neville waltzing around the room ?! And why the heck was Barty Crouch Jr at the Riddle mansion ? And what was the idea of the cage in the courtroom that Harry saw in Dumbledore's pensieve ? And why were all the Beauxbatons students girls, and all the Durmstrung students boys ? And what happened to Karkorov being a Death-eater and running away ? And why didn't Barty Crouch Jr get the kiss from the Dementor ? And where was Fudge not believing Voldemort was back (how are they going to explain the Ministry of Magic-led Daily Prophet "Potter is a liar" campaign in film 5 ? And what was with the dragon chasing Harry all over the school grounds ? And Moaning Myrtle trying to cuddle up to Harry in the prefects' bathroom (*shudders*) ? Where was Ludo Bagman, and where were the rest of the Weasleys (Mrs Weasley, Bill, Charlie and Percy) ? I'm very annoyed they didn't visit Harry before his third test - how are they going to explain Bill and Fleur Delacore getting together in film 6 (or will that, too, be sacrificed) ? And where was Hermione teaching Harry how to perform the Accio spell, or teaching him all those Hexes for the final task ? And where was Sirius ??!!

4 comments:

Arethusa said...

Don't worry: the new director will take care of all of that in the next movie plus deal with, you know, the actual story that occurs and develops in "Order of Phoenix". Piece of cake.

Found you through Metaxucafe and had to comment since this is exactly how a friend and I felt about the film.

Michele said...

I hope you're right, but I am not going to waste my hard-earned cash going to see the movie at the cinema ! I'll wait for the DVD...

How cool that the Metaxucafe has brought me some new readers - you're the first of whom I am aware !

Fence said...

Have to say I thought this latest one was the best of the HP films, but I will qualify that statement by saying if you hadn't read the books then you would be totally lost.

Michele said...

Well fair enough... I actually thought it was demd confusing even if you've read the book about 8 times (as I have !), the way it leapt from chapter to chapter, leaving chunks out... And the business in the Triwizard maze was too fast - and very dull ! It annoyed me that they didn't do more to establish the connection that Harry comes to feel with Cedric - which would have made his sobbing over Cedric's body far more convincing - as it is, I feel that Radcliffe just can't fake crying ! (His sobbing in Azkaban was one of the lamest bits of an otherwise fairly good movie !)