Thursday, June 07, 2007

As one door closes

- another one opens, or so the saying goes. I'm not entirely sure of the validity of this saying, having had a door firmly closed in my face this week with the announcement that I shall no longer be heading into the office to do my "day job". My job has been outsourced, so to speak, and I'm going to be working from home as of Monday. It's that or find another job altogether - and given I've received exactly three days notice, I've opted for a trial run of working from home. The problem is, the job means proofing online, and I have yet to upgrade my Internet connection to Broadband (as it's known in the UK, DSL elsewhere). Which means that any money I earn doing my job online will effectively go straight back out of my account to line the pockets of the phone company from whom I rent my line. Outraged on my behalf, Kelly H of Big A, little a has started a "fighting fund" to see if money can be raised to get me online via Broadband since I can't afford to sign up yet myself. If you wish to donate (and of course there's no obligation to do so), please head over to Kelly's blog for more details.

(I'm slightly embarrassed to even be mentioning this, but it was entirely Kelly's idea.)

Of course, this does have the potential to free up more writing time for me - but I doubt that will happen immediately as I shall have to work long hours just to earn enough to live on once I've paid the phone company.

15 comments:

Kelly said...

This WAS entirely my idea, folks!

Still outraged in the middle of the U.S....

Michele said...

And I appreciate your outrage Kelly...

Unknown said...

Oh, Michele, I'm so sorry. You deserve better than that. I hope that this does turn out to be the opening of a new door, and that it'll be the opportunity to jump start your writing career.

Anonymous said...

Michele, when you become the next J. K. Rowling, because of all of the extra time that you have to write after all of this, you're going to look back on today as a crucial turning point. Sorry to hear about the whole outsourcing thing, but I truly believe that you'll (perhaps with Kelly's help) make it be for the best.

Little Willow said...

I am sorry. Atrocious, really, that smart, capable persons such as yourself lose their jobs. I am so sorry and I wish I could do more than simply wish you a lot of luck on the job hunt.

Michele said...

Jen, I appreciate your faith in me becoming the next JKR (I WISH !). Sheila, Little Willow - your support, however it's expressed, is appreciated...

Lee said...

And a very good idea it is, Kelly.

Michele, I'm convinced you will come out fighting, and stronger for it.

Michele said...

Thanks ! We can but hope that's true !

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Michele! *shakes fist at ungrateful employers*

And sorry I haven't made it across to the book discussion this month, I will try to drag some sense out of my brain tomorrow :)

Michele said...

Thanks emmaco !

Re. the book discussion, just jump in whenever you can !

Camille said...

Oh Michele,
You are right, when a door closes a window does open, it is just scary trying to find that blasted window. Bless your heart.
I will be heading over to Kelly's as soon as we get back home. You are in my thoughts.

Camille

Michele said...

Thanks Camille... *fingers crossed* the window is easily found !

Gail Gauthier said...

Michele--This is rough now, but things will turn around.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you can lose a job with three days' notice and no compensation - can you take your employers to court? If you are based in the UK surely there is employment protection legislation? What an awful thing to happen, in any event, my sympathies.
Broadband is getting cheaper all the time, we use BT and the costs went down a lot recently. I sure hope your budget will stretch to it, the very best of luck.

Michele said...

Gail - I hope you're right !

Maxine, since I've been offered alternative arrangements for employment, I don't think I'd actually be entitled to anything... I've checked BT's current offers, and I would save a good deal if I signed up for broadband - it's just taking the plunge, so to speak.