Friday, July 21, 2006

Poetry Friday 10

In a vague attempt to counteract the heatwave we continue to have here in Europe, here are some wintry/snowy poems. This first one is a particular favourite of mine:

The More It Snows

The more it snows --
tiddely pom,
The more it goes --
tiddely pom,
The more it goes --
tiddely pom
On snowing --

And nobody knows --
tiddely pom ,
How cold my toes --
tiddely pom,
Are growing.


A. A. Milne

The next two are by Robert Frost, one of the few American poets whose poetry I have read.

Dust Of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.



Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Robert Frost

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Stopping by Woods" is one of my all time favourite poems. I have a beautiful picture book edition of it, illustrated by Susan Jeffers, that I treasure. (she makes the narrator in his sled look a bit like Father Christmas) The heat wave has hit the west coast of Canada now, so the thoughts of snow were most welcome!

Michele said...

It's one of my favourite Frost poems, along with "The Road Not Taken" and "Mending Wall"...

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for posting the Milne poem!

Michele said...

You're very welcome Martin !