Friday, April 27, 2007

Poetry Friday 47

It was Shakespeare's birthday on April 23, so I've been on a bit of a Shakespeare buzz again this week and I offer you the following (still on the theme of Time) from my favourite play by Shakespeare:

I wasted time, and now doth time waste me;
For now hath time made me his numbering clock:
My thoughts are minutes; and with sighs they jar
Their watches on unto mine eyes, the outward watch,
Whereto my finger, like a dial's point,
Is pointing still, in cleansing them from tears.
Now sir, the sound that tells what hour it is
Are clamorous groans, which strike upon my heart,
Which is the bell: so sighs and tears and groans
Show minutes, times, and hours.


King Richard in Richard II.


I particularly love the first two lines of this sonnet:

Sonnet 30

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanish'd sight:
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd and sorrows end.

9 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Good Shakespeare selections, Michele!

I also like the last two lines of Sonnet 30.

Michele said...

Thanks Elaine... Yes, those last two lines are rather lovely.

But then, I don't think I've ever read a duff line by Shakespeare !

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I rounded you up for Friday Poetry at a wrung sponge.

Anonymous said...

Yes, good selections. I can always count on you for some good Poetry Friday entries.

Michele said...

Thanks Jules !

And thanks for the round-up Cloudscome...

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the last 2 lines. Glad to see Richard II turn up -- no mention to the good doctor, though?

Michele said...

Um no, no metion of the Doctor this week - are you very disappointed ? :D

Vivian Mahoney said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of Shakespeare. He is magnificent.

Michele said...

Oh yes !

(Said in the Doctor's gleefully enthusiastic tones !)