Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lloyd Alexander RIP

Lloyd Alexander, known to millions of children's literature fans as the author of the book series The Chronicles of Prydain, died two days ago at the age of 83. There's an obituary in the Washington Post. (You may need to register to access this, but it's free to do so.)

I only read Alexander's Chronicles (which consists of The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer and The High King) for the first time last year, but I enjoyed it immensely, as well as the less well-known The Fantastical Adventures of the Invisible Boy (known in the US as The Gawgon and the Boy). Even though I'm a relatively new fan, I felt quite sad when I heard the news. I'm quite sure the world will be a slightly less rich place without him in it.

No comments: