Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Alex Rider Topples Harry Potter

This story is from the Times which reports

Harry Potter has finally met his match in the hero of another children's book. Having dominated the bestsellers' charts for nine years, the boy wizard created by J. K. Rowling has been toppled by Alex Rider, a 14-year-old spy from the pen of Anthony Horowitz. Days after the release of a new film adaptation of a novel by Horowitz, Stormbreaker, the author has topped the children’s bestsellers’ charts.

The latest Booktrack figures show that Horowitz now has seven titles in the Top 20 children's bestsellers' list. He said: "I have never felt that I'm in competition with J. K. Rowling. Indeed, I don't think Stormbreaker could ever have been made into a film without the success of Harry Potter. But I can't help smiling quietly to know that Alex has seen off Harry this week."

Much as I love Harry, I can't help smiling also !!

2 comments:

PJ Librarian said...

I will be interested to see how well the movie follows the book. I use to recommend all the Alex books to the older kids in the elementary school and they really liked it. Unfortunately, the movie isn't out until October for us in the USA. Interesting cast they have especially with Hagrid as the PM.

Michele said...

Our Robbie's a talented man ! Although, like Stephen Fry, rather underused in this film... There's really only one bit of the film I actually disliked, but I understand why Horowitz wrote the scene (I won't say any more because I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the film...)