Monday, December 25, 2006

Hogfather TV movie

I finally sat down and watched the four hour Sky One TV movie of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather this afternoon, and it was better than I'd heard, thankfully. I really liked Michelle Dockery as Susan, Death's granddaughter - apparently she starred in the stage version of His Dark Materials. Marc Warren as Teatime the Assassin was frankly creepy (and a much better role than Elton in Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters" from season 2 - the only other role I've seen him in !) I didn't think Joss Ackland was nearly loud and over-confident enough as Ridcully, but Ian Richardson as the voice of Death was brilliant. No film adaptation of a book I've thoroughly enjoyed is ever going to be completely satisfying, since I'm so book-oriented, but I thought this did a good job.

(By the way, does anyone else find themselves reminded of a certain Lord of the Rings movie scene when looking at this image from the film ?)

No comments: