Wednesday, December 20, 2006

New York Review of Books Children's Collection

I first heard about the New York Review of Books Children's Collection from Lee Lowe and then Gail Gauthier reminded me of it too. This article in the Washington Post discusses the collection in more detail and mentions some of the titles that have been reprinted including:

Lucretia Hale - The Peterkin Papers
E Nesbit - The House of Arden
Esther Averill - Jenny and the Cat Club
Eilís Dillon - The Island of Horses
Ingri and Edgar Parin D'Aulaire - Book of Trolls and Book of Norse Myths
Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson - Wee Gillis
Norman Lindsay - The Magic Pudding (as recommended by Philip Pullman in his list of books children should read and with an introduction by Pullman)
Rumer Godden - An Episode of Sparrows
Eleanor Farjeon - The Little Bookroom
T H White - Mistress Masham's Repose (which I'm personally delighted about as I had to get my local library to dig out an ancient edition when I wanted to read it last year !)

You can find out more about the NYRB Children's Collection at their website - and I shall add one or two of them to my wishlist !

No comments: