Monday, November 07, 2005

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire Film

Last night saw the British premiere of the fourth Harry Potter film - and the media has now gone Potter Premiere Potty (!) - unsurprisingly. The BBC has a couple of stories, one on the Premiere itself, and the other (and to me more interesting) one on the fact that Harry Potter has been named the greatest screen fantasy hero of all time in a poll. Apparently the UK Sci-Fi Channel polled 1500 people and Rowling's boy wizard came in far ahead of the cyborg star of Terminator 2 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (Clearly they didn't ask me !) The poll was commissioned to mark the 10th birthday of the UK Sci-Fi Channel on Tuesday. (I didn't know it had started on *my* birthday !) Other heroes on the list included Spiderman, Batman, Doctor Who, Han Solo, Neo from The Matrix, and Yoda (Yoda ?!) I'm surprised no one mentioned Superman - I'd say that lack of a mention doesn't bode well for Brandon Routh (who will be playing the latest incarnation of Superman) and Warner Brothers (although will they care with HP raking in so much money for them ?) with regard to their 2006 outing Superman Returns.

Oh, and if you want to see how much the child stars of the Harry Potter films have changed, in 5 years, check out the photo pop-up on the BBC website !

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have to say, Michele, I do think those kids are cuter now then they were 5 years ago!

I've never heard of Brandon Routh. Is he American? Superman, I'm afraid, is too clean and pure and good for this far too complex era.

Michele said...

Actually that's the whole point - Brandon Routh is an unknown - a deliberate choice on the part of the film makers, much as with Spiderman - Tobey Maguire wasn't terribly well known before he got that role...

Yes the kids are reasonably cute (but way too young for someone who's just turned (whisper) 37 !!)