Thursday, November 23, 2006

Carnegie award longlist

As a slight diversion from the shock of finding 86 (yes eighty-six) books have been nominated in the SF&F section for the Cybils, I've just been looking at the Carnegie longlist, which is a mere 38 books long (lucky judges ! I think I'll volunteer for the Cybils Judging Committee next year, especially as I'll be writing a non-fiction book of my own this time next year and won't have time to read an extra 86 books !) I was pleased to discover I've read, or am about to read, seven of the Carnegie award longlist:

BUCKLEY-ARCHER, Linda Gideon the Cutpurse (Simon & Schuster) (Review here)
COOPER, Susan Victory (Bodley Head) (Review here)
DUNMORE, Helen The Tide Knot (HarperCollins) (Review here)
GOLDING, Julia The Secret of the Sirens (Oxford University Press) (Review here)
SEDGWICK, Marcus My Swordhand is Singing (Orion)
WEBB, Catherine The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Atom) (Review here)
WINTERSON, Jeanette Tanglewreck (Bloomsbury) (Review here)

The trouble is, I want at least three of those to win - and probably four once I've read Marcus Sedgwick's My Swordhand is Singing, given how much I enjoyed everything else he's written so far !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting collection! I haven't read the Winterson yet, though I should, as I wrote my PhD dissertation on her and love at least her earlier work. I also want to read the Helen Dunmore.

By the way, my copy of the JRR Tolkein Encyclopedia arrived yesterday (I treated myself). Nice to see your name among the contributors! Which article did you write?

Michele said...

The Winterson was a "Write Away" review book, so I more or less had to read it ! It was more enjoyable than I'd anticipated !

Ooh lucky you - I can't afford to buy the JRRT Encyclopaedia... :-( I wrote two pieces - the short one on the White Horse of Uffington/Wayland Smith, and then the mighty piece on Tolkien in Oxford !

Anonymous said...

It was rather expensive. They should send you a free copy, as a contributor! But I gather from reading the general editor's blog that there were only 800 copies printed. I got the last one on Amazon.ca and feel very chuffed, but it was an indulgence. It's my Christmas present to myself :)

Michele said...

Well you had to contribute more than I did to get a copy - but then, I did get paid for my pieces - I could have kept some of that money to buy a copy, but alas!, I blew it on food and paying urgent bills ! ;-D