Friday, May 11, 2007

Book Related News


This news just in from Waterstones.com e-newsletter:

What better way to fall in love with a country than to do so in your formative years? Anyone who read Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking as a child would have longed for a life free from adult supervision, sharing a house with a horse and a monkey in Sweden! This children's classic is being re-published in September with illustrations by British picturebook queen, Lauren Child. Known and loved as the creator of some equally feisty little girls - notably Clarice Bean and Lola - Lauren has brought her own inimitable style to this beautifully-illustrated edition of Pippi Longstocking.

I have to confess that I've never yet read Pippi Longstocking but I know she's highly regarded by lots of fans of children's literature.

* * * * * *

In other book-related news, David Yates has confirmed that he's going to be directing the movie of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Post-production work on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix finished a few weeks ago and the movie's due for world-wide release on July 13 (which means that this is going to be a very Potteresque summer what with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows hitting the shops eight days later !)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm . . . interesting about Lauren Childs and Pippi. I hope it's turns out well.

Michele said...

As do I !

Mai said...

Pippi is WONDERFUL. I devoured those books as a kid, but somehow I can't get my own daughters into her tales.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Oh my goodness. My kids love Lauren Childs' books. Add Pippi to the mix, and I'm sure this will be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I adore Pippi. I was Annika in a play version when I was in second grade, and my most Pippi-like friend was Pippi. It was quite perfect. Thanks for the news.

Michele said...

I think I'm going to have to check the OPAC for "Pippi Longstocking" on the basis of your enthusiastic responses !