Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Time-Travel Tale

In case you missed it in my 8 Things Meme, I've now made the decision to put aside my "Doctor Who" novella series to write this non-Who tale that's bugging my brain. It's becoming very insistent (much as my fourth Doctor Who tale did) about being written, and I can see that if I don't sit down to write it, I shall be driven totally to distraction (as if I'm not distracted enough !) So I've pulled out some books to read, ear-marked a trip to the library for more books, and scribbled further notes. I'll begin the preliminary reading whilst I'm finishing the current 6th Who story-in-progress and then see where I go from there. Expect updates as and when I've some news to share - it'll be a couple of weeks or so before I begin writing the first draft - don't be surprised if the number of books I review drops even further whilst I'm doing the preliminary reading.

On the one hand, I'm excited at the thought of doing this story, but on the other, I'm terrified, as it means starting completely from scratch - new characters, new universe (though it's based in our world), new just-about-everything in fact ! And no familiar Doctor to hold my hand when I hit a rough spot...

Oh, and if you're interested, it features an older teen boy (I thought he was older than that when I first "saw" him, but it turns out that the uniform he was wearing fooled me) - so I guess that makes it a YA tale. Not that I'm writing it for anyone except me (but yes, I'll share it with others if they want to read it !)

4 comments:

Mai said...

This is exciting news! I have patience, and I look forward to reading this. It is funny, isn't it, how sometimes a story, a subject, or a character becomes such a buzz that it can't be ignored. No matter what you may THINK you want to focus on, sometimes, those things have OTHER ideas.

Michele said...

Well my fiction-writing brain has a habit of doing as it pleases, I've noticed !!

Erin said...

So exciting! Hope it goes well.

Michele said...

Thanks Erin!